Funds may be used for evaluating current landfill conditions to determine threats to water resources; provide technical assistance and/or training to enhance operator skills in the operation and maintenance of active landfills; provide technical assistance and/or training to help communities reduce the solid waste stream; provide technical assistance and/or training for operators of landfills which are closed or will be closed in the near future with the development and implementation of closure plans, future land use plans, safety and maintenance planning, and closure scheduling within permit requirements. Proposal deadline: December 31, 2020
The Solid Waste Alternatives Program (SWAP) works to reduce the amount of solid waste generated and landfilled in Iowa. Through a competitive process, financial assistance is available for a variety of projects, including source reduction, recycling and education.
Any unit of local government, public or private group or individual is eligible to apply.
Funds can be used for such items as:
- Waste reduction equipment and installation
- Recycling, collection, processing, or hauling equipment (including installation)
- Development, printing and distribution of educational materials
- Planning and implementation of educational forums, workshops, etc.
- Purchase and installation of recycled content products
- Salaries directly related to implementation and operation of the project
Proposal deadlines: 4:00 PM on January 2 and July 1.
Pre-proposal topics must relate to sustainable solid waste management practices and pertain to the following topic areas:
- Waste minimization
- Waste conversion to energy, biofuels, chemicals or other useful products
- Strategies to promote diversion to higher and better uses (e.g. organics diversion, market analysis, optimized material management, logistics, etc.)
Proposal deadlines: 4:00 PM on December 1 and May 1
Keep Iowa Beautiful empowers Iowans to bring cultural and economic vitality into communities through their Paint Iowa Beautiful, Derelict Building, and Build with Bags Grants.