Bottles and Cans: Iowa Container Deposit System
Iowa’s container deposit law has played a key role in reducing litter and fostering recycling for the past 30 years. The container deposit law has benefited Iowa’s economy, greatly reduced litter, and has cultivated a commitment to recycling among Iowans that has made many other programs successful.
Iowa’s container deposit take back program is one element of Iowa’s comprehensive recycling system which includes drop-off, curbside and deposit programs. The container deposit system is a great example of product stewardship and recycling, as are deposit systems currently in place for used tires and batteries. All three systems encourage product and consumer responsibility working together to make Iowa a national leader in recycling rates and recovery.
• 1.9 billion containers are sold each year in Iowa.
• 86% of beverage containers (1,65 billion) are redeemed annually in Iowa.
• Iowans recycle an average of 563 containers per person each year, compared to 191containers per person each year in non-deposit states.
• The deposit law reduces litter and promotes the recycling of 82,352 tons of material per year.
• The quality (thus, value) of materials collected through a deposit system is high, because the contamination is minimized.
The Impact of Changes in the Iowa Bottle Bill on Single Stream Recycling (April 2013)
Economics of the Iowa Bottle Bill (January 2012)
Iowa Bottle Bill Poll Findings (Fall 2011)
From the Container Recycling Institute, Iowa Briefing Note (Beverage container recycling, economics, and climate change for Iowa - February 2011)
Container Recycling Institute, “Bottle Bills Complement Curbside Recycling Programs”
Iowa Department of Natural Resources web page, “The Deposit Law”
Iowa's Beverage Container Control Act was enacted by the 1978 General Assembly with the objective to control litter along roadways in iowa.
Business and Environmentalists Allied for Recycling (BEAR), Study: "Understanding Beverage Container Recovery" (Full Report) For Executive Summary see below.
- The Impact of Changes in the Iowa Bottle Bill on Single Stream Recycling.pdf, 48k (Download)
- NYT ArticleBottled Water Bottle Bill History.pdf, 89k (Download)
- IRecycle Special EditionIowa Bottle Bill 2005.pdf, 835k (Download)
- Iowa Policy Product Bottle Bill Info Sheet.pdf, 540k (Download)
- Iowa Bottle Bill Polling Findings Fall 2011.pdf, 71k (Download)
- How Iowa's Bottle Bill Works.pdf, 66k (Download)
- Fact SheetBottled Water and Energy.pdf, 41k (Download)
- Economics of the Iowa Bottle Bill Jan 2012.pdf, 90k (Download)
- CRI Expansion Report2008.pdf, 377k (Download)
- Briefing Note - Iowa Feb 2011- CRI.pdf, 396k (Download)
- BEAR Report Executive Summary.pdf, 356k (Download)